Prospective Marriage Visa

  • Home
  • Prospective Marriage Visa

Subclass 300 - Prospective Marriage Visa

The Prospective Marriage visa allows you to travel to Australia to marry your prospective spouse and apply for a Partner visa. 

Your sponsor must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.

You must apply for the visa outside Australia, and marry your sponsoring partner after arriving in Australia within 9 months.

This visa is suitable for individuals that are in a relationship with an Australian partner, but do not have enough evidence to lodge a Partner visa application.

The visa does not require the applicant and sponsor to be married / have lived together / or have form of relationship registration at the time of application.

You can apply for a Subclass 820/801 permanent partner visa, once you are married in Australia

You can travel in and out of Australia as many times as you like during the validity of your visa.

Changes to the Migration Regulations 1994 allow the Department to grant you a visa in Australia if:

  • you were in Australia at any time during the COVID-19 concession period
  • you applied for your visa before the end of the COVID-19 concession period
  • you meet all visa criteria.


The COVID-19 concession period commenced on 1 February 2020 and ended on 25 November 2023.

How do I prove my relationship
to the department?

There are 4 main aspects of the relationship that the Department of Home Affairs will consider when assessing any partner visa application:

Financial aspect of relationship

Under this section, you can provide facts and evidence of your financial commitment to each other.

Nature of household

In this section, you can provide evidence of any joint responsibility for the care and support of children, your living arrangements and sharing of the responsibility for housework. 

Social aspect of relationship

In this section, you can outline important social aspects of your relationship, including opinion of your family, friends and acquaintances about the nature of your relationship.

Nature of commitment

In this section, you can outline significant events in your lives during which you have relied on each other for support and future plans together.

Temporary Visa Eligibility

Subclass 300 - Prospective Marriage Visa

To be approved for sponsorship, your sponsor must be:

  • Must be aged 18 years or older
  • Must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
  • Must genuinely intend to marry your partner.


In addition to the above, you are barred from sponsoring you if:

  • your sponsor has already sponsored two partners over their lifetime;
  • your partner has previously sponsored another partner in the last five years.
  • if your partner was granted a partner visa themselves in the last five years, they can sponsor you only after


Unless compelling and compassionate circumstances applies.

To be eligible for the visa, you must be: 

  • Aged 18 years or older
  • Intend to marry your intended partner who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen within 9 months of visa grant.
  • Must have physically met your partner in person, after turning 18.
  • Meet the health and character criteria.

Permanent Visa Eligibility

Subclass 820/801 - Onshore Partner Visa

You must:

  • be the same person who sponsored the applicant for their temporary partner visa 
  • continue to be married or in a de facto relationship with them

To be eligible for a Permanent Partner visa, you must:

  • Hold a Prospective Marriage visa
  • Be in an ongoing relationship still, unless you meet certain special conditions
  • Have complied with Australian laws

Prospective Marriage visa to Permanent Residency

To apply for a permanent visa, you must:

Apply for Prospective Partner Visa

If you are in a relationship with a person from overseas, but do not have enough evidence to lodge a Partner visa application, we recommend that you apply for a Prospective Partner Visa.

Wait for Visa Grant

Once your visa is granted, you are able to travel to Australia.

Marry your Intended Partner within the visa validity period

Once you are in Australia, you are required to marry your prospective partner within the visa validity period.

Apply for a Subclass 820 Partner Visa

Once you are married, to begin your permanent residency journey, you are required to apply for Subclass 820, before your visa expire.

Wait for Visa Grant

Once you have applied for Subclass 820, wait for the Department to respond with any documents that they require to process your application.

Once the Department is satisfied that you have met all the criteria for a Subclass 820 grant, they will grant the Subclass 820 Visa Application.

Alternatively, if you have been in a long-term relationship before you lodge your 820 (temporary) application, the permanent Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 801) may be granted immediately along with the temporary Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 820).

Apply for Second Stage Partner Visa

You are eligible to apply for the permanent Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 801) if you have a temporary Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 820) granted. After two years from the date of lodgement from Subclass 820, you can lodge your Subclass 801 application.

Something else ?


    We are happy to answer
    any queries you may have

    I got married before my prospective marriage visa was granted. What can I do now?

    If you marry your partner before your Prospective Marriage visa, you may be able to be considered for a Partner visa without lodging a new application. Please upload your marriage certificate to Immi Account and the Department will contact you with more information.

    My Sponsor is barred from sponsoring people. Can they overcome this?

    Your sponsor may still be permitted to sponsor you in compelling circumstances

    I have a dependent child. Can I include them in my Subclass 300 visa?

    Children under the age of 18 will be considered dependent, and therefore be included in your partner visa application. Children over 18 may be included if they are dependent on your or is incapacitated and is substantially reliant on you.

    How do I show an intention to marry?

    If you wish to marry in Australia, you must lodge a Notice of Intention to Marry (NOIM) with a marriage celebrant. The NOIM must be lodged no less than 1 month and no more than 18 months before the proposed date of the ceremony and is valid for up to 18 months. As part of your subclass 300 visa application, you should also provide confirmation that you have lodged a NOIM with your marriage celebrant.

    Send Us Your Migration Enquiry