Subclass 173/143

Subclass 173/143 - Contributory Parent Visa Application

Subclass 143 is a permanent parent visa that enables eligible parents of an Australian citizen, Permanent Resident or Eligible New Zealand Citizen to live in Australia, indefinitely. Subclass 143 can be applied directly, or split into two application, by initially applying for Subclass 173. 

Subclass 173 is a temporary residency application for eligible parents of an Australian citizen, Permanent Resident or Eligible New Zealand Citizen to live in Australia for two years.  Subclass 173 can be applied first to spread the costs of Subclass 143 visa across its processing time. 

Benefits of Subclass 143 - Parent Visa

Full Working Rights

Allows for travel in and out of Australia

Access to Medicare from Lodgement

Eligible for Citizenship

Sponsor Eligible Family Members to Australia

Pathway to Permanent Residency

Parent Visa Eligibility

To be approved as a Subclass 173 visa, you must:

  • be sponsored by an eligible child who is a settled Australian citizen, Australian Permanent resident or Eligible New Zealand citizen
  • meet the balance-of-family test
  • meet all visa conditions and follow Australian law
  • not have already applied for or hold a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) (Subclass 870) visa when applying for this visa
  • Meet health and character requirement

To be eligible for a Subclass 143 application, you must:

    • have an eligible sponsor child who is a settled Australian citizen, Permanent resident or Eligible New Zealand citizen, unless you are applying for the Retirement Pathway.
    • Meet the balance of family test
    • Have assurance of support
    • Meet health and character support
    • Have eligible health insurance. 

How do I meet the
Balance of Family Test?

You meet the balance of family test if:

At least half of your children and step-children are eligible children

A child is an eligible child if they are:

  • an Australian citizen, or 
  • an Australian permanent resident usually resident in Australia, or
  • an eligible New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia

Any other child of the parent is an ineligible child.

More eligible children living in Australia than in any other single country

Children are not counted if they:

  • are deceased
  • have been removed from their parents' exclusive legal custody by adoption, court order or operation of law
  • are registered by UNHCR as refugees and live in a camp operated by the UNHCR
  • live in a country where they suffer persecution or human rights abuse and can't be reunited with their parents in another country

What parent visa is suitable for me?

Subclass 143 is permanent visa. The initial phase of the application cost $4,225 for the main applicant and $1,425 for spouse (of the main applicant, if included in the application). The second instalment for each applicant is approximately $43,600. This visa takes approximately 3.5 to 4.5 years to process and is a permanent visa from approval.

Given the financial commitment of Subclass 143, you can opt to apply for a Subclass 173 to begin the permanent residency pathway, and apply for Subclass 143 once Subclass 173 is granted. This enables you to split the payments between the two visa subclass instead of one. 

Subclass 173 is a temporary visa with an initial application fee of $2,850 and $1,425 for secondary applicant. Before the visa is granted the second instalment of $29,130 is required to be paid, and takes approximately 3 to 3.5 years to process. The applicants are granted a 2 year temporary visa. Before this visa expires they must pay an additional $19,420 and apply for the permanent visa subclass 143.

Parent visa to Permanent Residency

Apply for a Subclass 173 Visa

To begin your parent's permanent residency journey, you begin with by applying for a Subclass 173 Parent Visa.

Pay the Second Instalment of Subclass 173

Before the visa is granted the second instalment of $29,130 is required to be paid. 

Apply for Subclass 143 - Permanent Parent Visa

You are eligible to apply for the Permanent Parent visa after the successful grant of Subclass 173.  Once the 143 is granted, you will become a permanent resident in Australia. 

Something else ?


    We are happy to answer
    any queries you may have

    What is an assurance of support?

    An Assurance of Support is a legal agreement you make with the Department to help someone get a visa to live in Australia. It is the sponsor’s promise to pay the Department back for any income support the Department give them.

    Will I receive the Assurance of Support back?

    The bond is refunded ten years after you enter Australia as the holder of the contributory parent visa, less any debts owed to the Australian government.

    Do I have access to Medicare if I apply for Subclass 143?

    If you’ve applied for a contributory parent visa (143 visa) and already have a temporary 173 visa, you can enrol for medicare.

    When do I have to pay for an Assurance of Support?

    Assurance of Support is generally payable after each applicant has passed health and character tests. 

    My parent is over 65. Should I apply for Subclass 143?

    If you are over 65 years old, we recommend the Contributory Aged Parent Visa, as it allows your parent to remain with you while their application is being processed.

    Summary of cost estimates
    for your application

    We have summarised a cost estimate for a Parent Visa application as below.

    143 Visa

    AUD 47,825

    The visa application fee is split into two stages.

    Assurance of


    Paid directly to the Government agency that collects the Assurance of Support.

    Medical and Police


    Paid directly to the agency that conducts your health and character checks

    Parent Visa COVID-19 Concessions

    You may be eligible for the grant of a bridging visa for Parent (Subclass 103), Contributory Parent (Subclass 143) or Contributory Parent (Temporary) (Subclass 173) visa application during the period in which the COVID-19 concessions are in place.

    You are eligible for a bridging visa if:

    • you lodged your Parent or Contributory Parent visa application before 24 March 2021
    • the visa application was lodged in Australia
    • you were in Australia on 24 March 2021
    • the visa application has not been finalised.


    If you held a substantive visa at the time of your visa application, you may be able to apply for and be granted a Bridging visa A.

    If you did not hold a substantive visa at the time you made your visa application, you will not be eligible for a BVA, but maybe granted a Bridging visa E.

    If you lodged a paper application for a Parent or Contributory Parent visa at an office outside Australia, you will not meet the criteria for the grant of a bridging visa in association with your visa application.

    Contact Us

    Feel free to ask anything
    we are here

      Melbourne Office
      Shop 7, 401 St Kilda Road
      Melbourne VIC 3004
      Caroline Springs Office

      Unit 7, 242-224 Caroline Springs Blvd
      Caroline Springs VIC 3023

      Northern Territory Office

      18 Tambling Terrace                        Lyons, NT 0810

      +613 9654 8611
      +614 1472 1092

      Send Us Your Migration Enquiry