- be the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
- be in a genuine and continuing relationship with the sponsoring partner
- meet health and character requirements.
If you are in a de-facto relationship, your relationship must have existed for at least 12 months immediately before you apply for the visa.
This will not apply if you:
- are in a de facto relationship with a partner who is an applicant for a permanent humanitarian visa, or
- you have registered your relationship with an Australian authority such as a registry of births, deaths and marriages