Subclass 802 – Child Visa

  • Home
  • Subclass 802 – Child Visa

Subclass 802: Child visa

The 802 visa allows a child who lives outside Australia to move permanently to the country to live with their parents.

With this visa, the child can:

  • Migrate to Australia as a permanent resident;
  • Apply for Medicare;
  • Apply for Citizenship once eligible. 

Subclass 802 - Child Visa Eligibility

To be eligible for a Subclass 802 - Child visa, the child must: 

The child should be sponsored by an eligible parent or their parent’s spouse or de facto partner.

The child should not have:

  • married or engaged to be married
  • in a de facto relationship 

The child must be either be:

  • under 18 years old, or
  • over 18 and under 25 years and studying full time, or
  • over 18 years with a disability

The child must be inside the country during the time of the application.

The child must be dependent on the parent who is:

  • Australian citizen
  • Eligible New Zealand citizen
  • Australian permanent visa holder

The child can be a,

  • biological child
  • adopted child
  • stepchild (only from a former partner)

This visa is granted to a child younger than 18 years if either:

  • the child has the written consent of everyone who can legally decide where they live, or
  • the laws of the child’s home country allow them to leave their home country, or
  • it is consistent with any Australian Child order about the child

This visa may not granted if it is not in the best interests of an applicant under 18.

The child and family members aged 16 years and over who apply for the visa with you must meet the Department’s health and character requirements.

Steps to apply for a Child Visa

Processing Times for Child Visa

75% of applications are processed in 25 months

90% of applications are processed in 33 months

25 months
33 months

Something else ?


    We are happy to answer
    any queries you may have

    Can I sponsor an adopted child?

    If the child was adopted after the sponsored parent became an Australia citizen, permanent resident or eligible NZ citizen, the adoption must have been:

    • an intercountry adoption with the involvement of an Australian state or territory central authority
    • an intercountry adoption between two countries that are parties to the Hague Convention
    • if no Australian state or territory central authority was involved, through an expatriate adoption by an Australian citizen, an eligible New Zealand citizen or the holder of an Australian permanent visa living outside Australia for more than 12 months before the adoption was finalised. 
    What obligation do the sponsors have once the Subclass 802 visa is approved?

    You must provide adequate accommodation and enough financial support to meet the child’s living needs, and those of any dependent child granted the visa with them for their first two years in Australia.

    Can I sponsor my step child?

    To be eligible for this visa, a stepchild must:

    • be the child of their step-parent’s former partner
    • be aged under 18.

    The step-parent must also have either:

    • an Australian parenting order in force that says the child is to live with them and be looked after by them, or
    • guardianship or custody of the child under an Australian law or the law of another country.
    Can I sponsor a child who is over 18 and under 25 years and studying full time?

    If the child is over 18 and under 25 years old they:

    • must be a full-time student when they apply and when the visa application is decided
    • can’t work full time
    • must be financially dependent on their parent more than any other person

    The child is a full-time student if they are:

    • enrolled in a full-time course that leads to a professional, trade or vocational qualification
    • attending classes
    Can the child over 18 years have a gap in their studies?

    The child should have started study since turning 18 years of age or within 6 months (or a reasonable time) of finishing school. Any gaps of more than 6 months between their final year of school and the start of their further studies must be explained.

    Can I sponsor a child If the child is over 18 years with a disability?

    If the child is 18 years or older with a disability, they:

    • must have totally or partially lost their bodily or mental functions
    • can’t work full time
    • must be financially dependent on their parent


    to be eligibility for the visa. 

    What is the difference between Subclass 101 and Subclass 802?

    The child should be outside the country to apply for a Subclass 101 visa while the child should be inside the country to apply for Subclass 802 visa.

    Can the child apply for Subclass 802 when they are in Australia on another visa?

    The child can’t apply for this visa if they are in Australia on another visa with a no further stay condition.

    How long can the child stay in Australia with this visa?

    This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely. The visa has a travel component that expires 5 years after the date of visa grant.

    Send Us Your Migration Enquiry