To be approved for sponsorship, your sponsor must be:
- Your spouse or de-facto partner
- an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen; and
- aged 18 years of age or older (unless an exemption applies).
Your sponsor is barred from sponsoring you if:
- your sponsor has already sponsored two partners over their lifetime;
- your partner has previously sponsored another partner in the last five years.
- if your partner was granted a partner visa themselves in the last five years, they can sponsor you only after five years have passed since they lodged their own visa application.
- unless compelling and compassionate circumstances applies.