Resident Return Visa

Subclass 155/157: Resident Return visa

Although Permanent residency visas are granted permanently, the travel component of the visa is only valid for up to 5 years. If you leave Australia after your permanent visa travel facility has expired, you will not be able to return to Australia as a permanent resident.

If you wish to return to Australia as a permanent resident, you must apply for and be granted a Resident Return Visa (‘RRV’)  before you arrive in Australia.

This visa will allow you to:

  • travel back to Australia as a permanent resident if you are outside Australia and your travel validity has expired; or
  • renew the travel component of your permanent residency visa while in/outside Australia.

Subclass 155/157 - Resident Return visa Eligibility

To be eligible for a Subclass 155/157- Resident Return visa, you must: 

You must be either,

  • an Australian permanent resident
  • a former Australian permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not cancelled, or
  • a former Australian citizen who lost or renounced citizenship.

You must have been either:


Be in Australia for 2 years in the last 5 years as a Permanent Resident, or as an Australian citizen


be in Australia and:

    • demonstrate substantial ties to Australia that are of benefit to Australia, and
    • not been absent for 5 continuous years since the last permanent visa grant


be outside Australia and:

    • not absent for 5 continuous years or more before the date of application
    • hold a permanent visa or last left Australia as a permanent resident or citizen (but subsequently lost citizenship), and
    • be able to demonstrate substantial ties to Australia that are of benefit to Australia


be outside Australia and:

    • were an Australian citizen or permanent resident less than 10 years before you applied, and
    • not absent from Australia for periods that total more than 5 years (unless you have compelling reasons) between the date you left Australia as a permanent resident or citizen and the date of application, and
    • be able to demonstrate substantial ties to Australia that are of benefit to Australia,


be the member of family unit of a person who already holds an RRV or has lodged a separate application for an RRV, and meets the time of application criteria for grant

Your ties must be both substantial and of benefit to Australia. Your ties can be:

  • business ties 
  • cultural ties 
  • employment ties 
  • personal ties (including family ties)

You are not eligible for an RRV if you hold a Transitional (permanent) visa because you were issued either an:

  • Authority to Return (issued between 1 March 1976 to 31 August 1979)
  • Return Endorsement (issued between 1 September 1979 and 31 December 1986)

You and family members aged 16 years or over who apply for the visa with you must meet the character requirements.

This includes gathering police checks from all countries you have stayed in for more than a year over the last ten years.

You might not be eligible for this visa if,

  • you have cancellation action on business grounds for the following business skills visa,
    • Class EA subclass 132 visa
    • Class BH subclass 840-846 visas (repealed)
    • Class EB subclass 188 visa
    • Class UR subclass 160-165 visas
    • Class EC subclass 888 visas
  • been granted a subclass 155, 157 or 159 visa
  • cancellation action for your subclass 155, 157 or 159 visa on the same business visa grounds.
  • you are or were a family member of a person affected by the above, and either hold or have held one of the above visa subclasses as a dependant family member.

You might not be eligible to apply for some Australian visas if:

  • your visa application was refused, or
  • your visa was cancelled


Reach out to us if you have a visa refusal/cancellation with the Department of Home Affairs, and we can assess your case.

How long can I be granted a Resident Return visa?

When an RRV application is lodged, applicants are assessed for both subclass 155 and 157 visas.  Depending on the circumstances, you may be granted a Subclass 155 visa (for a period of 5 years or 12 months);or Subclass 157 (For a period of 3 months).

Steps to apply for a Resident Return visa

Something else ?


    We are happy to answer
    any queries you may have

    What is the difference between Subclass 155 and Subclass 157?

    The difference between Subclass 155 and Subclass 157 is the length of travel facility granted to applicants.

    The maximum travel facility that can be granted with a subclass 157 RRV is 3 months, whereas 155 can be granted for up to 5 years.

    Is this visa permanent?

    Yes, this is a permanent visa which lets you undertake all activities as your original permanent visa.

    Can I request for an extension of the facility?

    You will not be able to request extension of travel facility, regardless of the circumstances (within or outside of your control).

    Can I receive a refund if I do not use the travel facility?

    Generally, you will not get a refund if:

    • you lose any travel facility on your existing visa when your RRV is granted.
    • your RRV was granted, but you did not use it for any travel (regardless of the reason).
    • your RRV application was refused.

    However, you may be eligible for a refund if the application was refused due to an error from the Department. 

    Can I add family members in this visa?

    While you can’t include family members as secondary visa applicants in your application, you should provide information about any immediate family members who are Australian citizens or permanent residents to demonstrate that you have substantial ties of benefit to Australia.

    How can Business ties be defined?

    You will need to show that you:

    • have substantial ownership interests in the business and are personally involved at a senior level in the day-to-day operations and management of the business.


    The business activity needs to be ongoing, regular activity that is commercial in nature, has an intention to make a profit and has a system of record keeping and management that substantiates the business activity claimed.

    How can Cultural ties be defined?

    If you are claiming cultural ties, you will need to provide proof your role is adding to Australia’s cultural life. This can include:

    • publications you have written
    • your membership of cultural associations
    • any media articles about you or proof of your performances.
    How can Employment ties be defined?

    To prove you have employment ties to Australia, you must:

    • show that you are currently employed, or
    • have a formal offer of employment in Australia, or
    • are employed overseas by an Australian organisation, or
    • are able to show that your employment by a non-Australian organisation has a demonstrable benefit to Australia,
      • for example, working as a representative of Australia for an international organisation.
    How can Personal ties be defined?

    Substantial personal ties could be of benefit to Australia if you:

    • are or have been, a participating member of the Australian community and economy.
    • Living in Australia for a substantial period of time
    • or living overseas with an Australian citizen partner


    Proof of personal assets or family who live in Australia could also help to demonstrate personal ties if you are able to show they are both substantial and of benefit to Australia.

    Send Us Your Migration Enquiry