Electronic Travel Authority

  • Home
  • Electronic Travel Authority

Tourist Visa - Electronic Travel Authority

The Australian ETA (also known as the Subclass 601 Visa) is a temporary electronic permit, allowing eligible and approved passport holders to travel to Australia for tourism purposes as often as they wish in a 12-month period.

To apply for eVisitor visa, you must hold a passport from one of the eligible countries. Tourists can stay up to 3 months each time they enter Australia.

Other types of tourist visas include:

This visa enables eligible passport holders to stay in Australia as often as they wish in 12 months. 

The visa is the same as the Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601) however it can be applied for online and is free.

Only certain countries’ nationals may use this visa. 

The Visitor (600) visa is for people who do not hold an eligible passport for either the eVisitor (651) or Electronic Travel Authority (601) visas. 

This visa stream applicants to bring themselves or sponsors to bring their family and friends to Australia  for a specified period.

ETA – New Updates

All ETA-eligible passport holders must apply for an ETA using the Australian ETA app.


Benefits of Visa Include:

Travel in and out of Australia

Up to 3 months at a time

Visit Family and Friends

Temporary ETA Visa Eligibility

To be eligible for an Subclass 601 visa, you must: 

  • Be a genuine visitor in Australia
  • Have an eligible passport
  • Meet the health and character requirement

The following passports are eligible for an ETA Application:

  • Andorra
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Brunei
  • Canada
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hong Kong (SAR of China)
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Liechtenstein
  • Luxembourg
  • Malaysia
  • Malta
  • Monaco
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • Republic of San Marino
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan (excluding official or diplomatic passports)
  • The Netherlands
  • United Kingdom—British Citizen
  • United Kingdom—British National (Overseas)
  • United States of America
  • Vatican City

If you hold more than one passport, you must declare this in your ETA application and provide details of your other passports.

Summary of cost estimates
for your application

There is no Visa Application Charge (VAC). There may be an application service charge of AUD20.

Something else ?


    We are happy to answer
    any queries you may have

    What's the processing time for ETA?

    In most cases, you will be notified of the result of your ETA application immediately. Sometimes there will be a delay (of up to 12 hours) before receiving your notification. Check your emails, including your junk mail folder, for a written notification from the Department.

    If you have a criminal conviction in any country, the Department will need more information from you. You should apply for a Subclass 600 visa instead and provide evidence about your criminal convictions

    Can I work on an ETA Visa?

    ETA visa does not have any work rights.

    Can I extend my ETA Visa?

    You cannot extend a Subclass 601 visa.

    Where do I apply for the visa?

    All ETA eligible passport holders must apply for an ETA using the Australian ETA app.

    If you are unable to use the app, you can apply online through ImmiAccount for another visa.

    How long can I stay in this visa?

    You can study or train for up to 3 months in total on this visa.

    Can I study using this visa?

    You can study or train for up to 3 months in total on this visa. If your main reason for travelling to Australia is to study, you should apply for a student visa.

    Can I apply for the visa from inside Australia?

    You must be outside Australia when you apply for the ETA and outside Australia when the visa is granted.


    Send Us Your Migration Enquiry