Subclass 115 – Remaining Relative Visa

  • Home
  • Subclass 115 – Remaining Relative Visa

Subclass 115: Remaining Relative visa

This permanent visa lets people move to Australia to be with their only close family members. You must be outside Australia to apply for this visa. 

With this visa, you can:

  • Stay in Australia as a permanent resident
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Apply for Medicare
  •  Sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
  • Apply for citizenship, if eligible

Subclass 115 - Remaining Relative visa Eligibility

To be eligible for a Subclass 115- Remaining Relative visa, you: 

You must have an approved sponsorship by an eligible parent or stepparent, sibling or step sibling, or an eligible partner of your relative.

Your relative must also be:

  • an Australian citizen; or
  • Permanent resident; or an
  • Eligible New Zealand citizen


in order to apply for this visa.

You will not be granted this visa if,

  • you or your partner have a near relative who usually live outside Australia, or,
  • you or your partner have a near relative who live in Australia on a temporary visa (including bridging visas) or unlawfully.

You must be able to obtain an assurance of support to be eligible for this visa.

An assurance of support ensures that you will not have to rely on government assistance after you reach Australia. 

You and family members aged 16 years or over who apply for the visa with you must meet the health and character requirements.

You might not be eligible to apply for some Australian visas if:

  • your visa application was refused, or
  • your visa was cancelled


Reach out to us if you have a visa refusal/cancellation with the Department of Home Affairs, and we can assess your case.

Steps to apply for a Remaining Relative visa

Processing Times for Remaining Relative visa

The waiting period after your visa application is put in a queue may take up to 24 years.

As at 31 July 2023, the Department have released for final processing for Remaining Relative visa applications with a queue date of up to 31 July 2012

Something else ?


    We are happy to answer
    any queries you may have

    What is the difference between Subclass 835 and Subclass 115?

    You are required to be inside the country while applying for Subclass 835. On the other hand, you should be outside Australia to be eligible for Subclass 115.

    From where can I apply for this visa?

    You should be inside Australia when you apply for this visa.

    For how long is the travel component of this visa valid?

    You can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want for 5 years from the date the visa is granted.

    If you want to travel after the initial 5-year travel facility:

    • you will need to apply for and be granted a Resident Return (RRV) so that you can re-enter Australia as a permanent resident
    Can I add family members in this visa?

    You can include members of the family unit in your application when you apply. You can also add children to your application at any time before the decision on the application is made.

    Who is a near relative that can sponsor the applicant?

    To be a sponsor, you must be:

    • a parent, brother, sister, step-brother or step-sister of the applicant or of the applicant’s spouse or de facto partner (if any); or

    • a child (including a step-child) of the applicant or of the applicant’s spouse or de facto partner (if any), being a child who:

      • has turned 18 and is not a dependent child of the applicant or the applicant’s spouse or de facto partner (if any); or
      • has not turned 18 and is not wholly or substantially in the daily care and control of the applicant or the applicant’s spouse or de facto partner (if any).


    What are the obligations on sponsors for the visa?

    The sponsor must agree in writing to provide support, accommodation and financial assistance for their relative and any accompanying family members for their first two years in Australia.

    If the sponsor is an eligible New Zealand citizen will also need to meet health and character requirements.

    Send Us Your Migration Enquiry