Subclass 482

Subclass 482

Subclass 482 visa is a temporary work visa that aims to address the skills shortages in Australia by enabling an Australian employer to sponsor an overseas employee to fill a job that an appropriately skilled person cannot fill within Australia.

Visa Benefits

Benefits of Subclass 482 include as below:

  1. Indirect Pathway to Permanent Residency: This visa provides an indirect pathway to Permanent Residency through visas such as Subclass 186/187. 
  2. Visa does not require an invitation: You do not need an invitation to apply for a visa.
  3. English Requirement: You only require Competent English to apply for the visa. 
  4. Apply from Anywhere: Visa applications can be lodged offshore and onshore.
  5. Include family in Visa Application: Visa applicants can bring family members to Australia to accompany them.

Types of Subclass 482 Visa

There are three streams for Subclass 482 Visa. 

Short-term Stream

This visa enables employers to address labour shortages by bringing in skilled workers for a short period of time where employers can't source an appropriately skilled Australian worker.

Medium-term Stream

This visa enables employers to address labour shortages for up to 4 years by bringing in skilled workers where employers can't hire appropriately skilled Australian workers.

Labour Agreement Stream

This visa is for skilled workers nominated by employers with a Labour Agreement. It lets you live and work in Australia temporarily. Labour agreements are developed between the Australian Government (represented by the Department) and employers.

Subclass 482 Visa Eligibility

To become a Subclass 482 nominator, you must: 

  • Be a Standard Business Sponsor; 
  • Have a genuine position available in the business;
  • Nominate the worker for an eligible occupation
  • Undertake Labour Market Testing to determine that the nominator cannot find an Australian citizen or permanent resident with the skills and experience to fill the nominated position.
  • Pay the annual market salary rate;
  • Engage the nominee under a written contract of employment;
  • Not engage in discriminatory practices;
  • Employment conditions must be equivalent to Australian workers; and
  • There must be no adverse information known about your business or any person associated with the company unless it is reasonable for Department to do so. 

To be eligible for a Subclass 482 visa, you must be: 

  • Nominated to work in an occupation on the list of eligible skilled occupations;
  • Have at least two years of relevant work experience in your nominated occupation or a related field;
  • Have relevant skills, qualifications and employment background to perform occupation;
  • Have health insurance;
  • Have appropriate skills assessment;
  • Work only for your sponsor or associated entity unless you are exempt;
  • Have functional English;
  • Meet health and character requirements; and
  • Be a genuine applicant for entry and stay as a short-term visa holder

Something else ?


    We are happy to answer
    any queries you may have

    What is an SAF Levy Fee?

    If you are an employer nominating an overseas employee to fill a position in your business under the Subclass 482 visa, you will be required to pay a Skilling Australians Fund (SAF) levy as part of the nomination application fee.

    How do I know which stream is right for me?

    To understand which stream is right for you, you will need to find an occupation that matches your qualification and employment and check which skill list it falls under. Only specified occupations on the lists are able to be sponsored under the 482-visa program. Alternatively, you can book a consultation with us, and we can assist in finding an occupation that matches your skills, qualification and experience.

    I have lodged my 482 visa – what happens now?

    If you are in Australia and have lodged a 482-visa application whilst on a substantiative visa without a condition 8503, you are generally granted a bridging visa A (BVA) to allow you to remain in Australia while a decision is made. We recommend that you check your VEVO to understand all your visa conditions and restrictions. 

    Can I apply for this visa offshore?

    Yes, you can apply for this visa outside Australia.

    Can I apply for this visa on a bridging visa?

    Yes, you can apply for this visa on either a bridging Visa A, B, or C

    How long is the visa valid for?

    The visa can be applied for up to 4 years. The employer can decide how long they wish to sponsor you for.

    Can I be sponsored by another sponsor?

    Yes – your existing employer will need to submit a new nomination.

    Can my family members work in Australia?

    Yes, they are usually granted full working rights upon the grant of visa. 

    Can 482 be extended?

    Yes, you can extend your 482 visa.

    Steps for Subclass 482 application

    STEP 1: Apply for Sponsorship

    The sponsoring company needs to be a standard business sponsor to begin applying for a Subclass 482 visa. Our agents will work with the sponsoring organisation to apply for sponsorship.

    STEP 2: Apply for Nomination

    Once the sponsoring company has applied for sponsorship, the company needs to submit a nomination application and pay the SAF Levy Fee.

    Step 3: Visa Application

    Once both sponsorship and nomination have been applied for, our Registered Migration Agents will apply for your Subclass 482 application and liaise with the Department on your behalf. We will ensure that all relevant documents are submitted at the time of lodgement to ensure faster processing of your visa application.

    STEP 4: Undertake Health and Medical Checks

    Once you have applied for the visa, we recommend that you undertake your health and medical examination once we instruct you to do so.

    STEP 5: Wait for Visa Outcome.

    Once all relevant documents are uploaded, we will wait for a visa application outcome and follow up wherever necessary.

    Processing Times - Short Term Stream

    75% of applications are processed in: 12 months
    90% of applications are processed in: 15 months

    12 months
    15 months
    3 months

    Processing Times - Medium Term Stream

    75% of applications are processed in: 3 months
    90% of applications are processed in: 9 months

    9 months

    Pathway to Permanent Residency

    You may be able to apply for Permanent Residence if your employer decides to sponsor you for:

    • Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186); or
    • Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 187)

    If they are unable or unwilling to sponsor you for the above visa, you can look into:

    • General Skilled Migration Pathway;
    • Partner Visa Pathway;
    • Subclass 494 Visa, leading to a permanent visa.

    Summary of cost estimates
    for your application

    We have summarised cost estimates for a Subclass 482 application.

    Temporary Activities

    AUD 420

    Paid directly to the Department of Home Affairs.


    AUD 330

    Paid directly to the Department of Home Affairs.

    Subsequent Application

    AUD 700

    Paid directly to the Department of Home Affairs



    Visa charges for each streams varies  between streams.

    SAF Levy


    Small (annual turnover less than $10 million) must pay AUD1200 per year or part thereof. Other business (annual turnover of $10 million or more) pay AUD1800 per year or part thereof.

    Medical & Police


    Paid to the relevant authorities that issue medical and police checks to the applicants.

    COVID-19 Concessions for Subclass 482

    Permanent Residency Pathway for Subclass 482 Visa Holders in ROL Occupation

    The Department has confirmed that those holding a Subclass 482 visa with an occupation on the ROL and who worked in Australia during the pandemic can access the Subclass 186 – TRT stream once they meet the nomination & visa requirements of the visa.

    Since the regulation is not end-dated, the concession would continue until it is ended by the Department.

    Reduced Work Hours and Eligibility for Subclass 186 TRT Visa

    To be eligible for a subclass 186 TRT visa, you must have worked for your nominated employer full time for three years. However, with the COVID-19 outbreak, many workers have reduced their work hours or were forced to take unpaid leave.

    The changes to Migration Regulations will now allow subclass 457/482 visa holders to apply for the subclass 186 TRT despite not working full-time during the concession period (1 February 2020).

    Age and Fair Work High Income Threshold Exemption

    Usually, you must be under 45 years of age to apply for Subclass 186. However, you may be eligible for an age exemption for Subclass 186 if the candidates can attract a salary at or above the Fair Work high-income threshold. 

    However, eligible ‘coronavirus concession worker’ applicants will continue to qualify for the age exemption, despite their earnings being affected by a coronavirus employment change. The Department may apply the pro-rata income threshold.

    This applies to all applications made on or after 1 February 2020.

    Third TSS Visa

    Under the new arrangements, eligible former TSS visa holders, who have remained and worked in Australia during COVID-19, will be able to apply for a third short-term stream TSS visa. To be eligible, applicants must:

    • have held more than two short-term stream TSS visas
    • have been in Australia between 1 February 2020 and 14 December 2021 for one year while maintaining a TSS (Short-term stream) visa
    • Meet all other nomination and visa requirements for the TSS (Short-term stream) visa.

    The changes will enable applicants to satisfy the requirements for an ENS visa under the TRT stream. 

    TSS Short Term Visa to Permanent Residency

    Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) subclass 482 visa holders in the short-term stream will be able to apply for permanent residence through the Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) stream of the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) subclass 186 visa. This pathway is available for two years, from 1 July 2022.

    To be eligible, TSS visa holders must:

    • have been in Australia for at least one year between 1 February 2020 and 14 December 2021
    • meet all other nomination and visa requirements for the TRT stream of the ENS visa.
    Contact Us

    Feel free to ask anything
    we are here

      Melbourne Office
      Shop 7, 401 St Kilda Road
      Melbourne VIC 3004
      Caroline Springs Office

      Unit 7, 242-244 Caroline Springs Blvd
      Caroline Springs VIC 3023

      Northern Territory Office

      18 Tambling Terrace                        Lyons, NT 0810

      +613 9654 8611
      +614 1472 1092